You won’t be disappointed with the family friendly and fun activities which you can do with your family in Cumbria. It is in the North West of England, it isn’t the hottest place you can visit and there is a potential for rain too. However, don’t be put off as this is a spectacular place to visit. With lots of family fun places to visit you certainly won’t be bored, but there are no guarantees on the weather, no matter the time of year you choose to visit.
10 Fun Activities To Do In Cumbria
1. You must spend some time visiting Carlisle Castle, it is a beautiful place to visit not only to see, but to learn about its history too. It is so easy to get to, located within the city limits and really close to the city centre.
2. While you are in Carlisle, although it is a small city, you won’t be disappointed with the beautiful Cathedral. It’s a great place to let your children have some space outside to run around before heading inside and looking at the marvels of this Cathedral and all it has to offer.
3. In Carlisle, before you leave you must visit Tullie House, the city’s museum, including an art gallery. There are fun things for children to do and it is always a great alternative if the weather is a bit on the wet side.
4. It is possible to walk along some of the route of Hadrian’s Wall; this wall spans across the UK and separates the UK from Scotland. It’s steeped in history and being in some beautiful countryside, it makes for short walks or even to walk the complete length of the wall, but this will take more than a day or two!
5. My fifth activity is slightly different; I picked the whole town of Silloth. It is a traditional English seaside town. It has free parking, large open greens for children to run and play, free tennis courts and of course the beach and the sea. There is so much to do here you just won’t get bored and they have one of the best fish & chip shops in the area too!
6. The Lake District Wildlife Park, I have spent many a happy hour here with my children over the years, including school trips. There is an indoor play centre, which is a great way to tire out even the most adventurous child and giving the parent time for a quick caffeine top-up!
7. You can’t visit Cumbria without visiting a lake or two! Lake Windermere is the obvious choice, but there are more lakes than this to explore. Some lakes have boating options, hiring a boat or going out on a cruise of the lake, with some breath-taking views!
8. For the adventurous families Whinlatter Forest is a must, not only are there walks through the forest there are mountain bike trails, not for the faint-hearted and even a tree top adventure experience called ‘Go Ape’ is something not to miss!
9. Walking is part of Cumbria, there are so many places where you can walk that are totally amazing. The highest one in Cumbria is Scafell Pike, you should visit this one whilst in Cumbria; if you don’t want to tackle the big one there are lots of other places that you can walk and look at the amazing scenery.
10. South Lakes Safari Zoo is another family favourite zoo and one, when the children were little; we had an annual outing to this zoo. It isn’t too big, you can easily get around the zoo including on a little railway! My children always loved this at the end of the day when they were getting tired!
Cumbria is a place that you must visit with your family, you won’t be disappointed with the amount of different things that you can do and taking in the beauty of the county at the same time. It is a rural area and this does mean you need to consider transportation carefully; it isn’t always easy to get to the different areas relying on public transport. However, don’t let that put you off visiting Cumbria, in the UK, with your family!
Sharon is a mother to three adult children and is married to her supportive husband. She writes about organizing, finance, cleaning, depression and a few other areas on her blog How To Get Organized At Home. You can visit her blog, or you can connect with Sharon through her social media Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and G+.
Latest posts by Paula Rollo (see all)
- How to get more traffic to your travel blog using pinterest - August 8, 2017
- What to eat at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - August 2, 2017
- Road Trip Activities For Kids - July 31, 2017