Whether it’s a big day of travel, or just a busy day around town, you NEED good snack options. One of our absolute favorites is homemade granola.
It’s a healthier option, and it’s great to travel with because it can work as a breakfast or a snack, whichever one you’re needing at the moment!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar (Light brown sugar would work too)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried fruit of your choice)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (or other nut of your choice)
Preheat oven to 300ºF
Combine honey, vegetable oil and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
In a separate large bowl combine oats, salt, cinnamon, dark brown sugar, dried fruit and nuts.
I added the dried fruit before baking because the dried cranberries that I use turn out really nice and chewy if I bake them with the oats. You may also add them after baking if you prefer the dried fruit to keep the same texture that it starts with.
Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and stir with a sturdy spoon or spatula until evenly combined.
Evenly spread mixture on a cookie sheet with a rim.
Bake the mixture for 15 minutes then stir and continue baking until the oats are golden brown or about 10 to 15 minutes more.
Let the granola cool completely before stirring and sealing in an airtight container.
Do you have a favorite snack that you like to take on trips with you? Tell us about it in the comments.
Want more travel snack ideas? Check out 100 more fun ones here.
Latest posts by Paula Rollo (see all)
- How to get more traffic to your travel blog using pinterest - August 8, 2017
- What to eat at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - August 2, 2017
- Road Trip Activities For Kids - July 31, 2017